General tel & repairs

020 7392 5400

Nuisance neighbours


Noise Nuisance Reporting

  • Loud music/noisy parties
  • Dogs barking
  • Household noise

If you are suffering from noise nuisance this could be investigated in a confidential manner. We work with Tower Hamlets Environmental Health Environmental Protection (EHEP).

Action we can take

If there is sufficient evidence of noise nuisance action will be taken against identified perpetrators.

Incident logs

Log sheets are important to gather evidence as this helps identify patterns and trends of noise nuisance.

They should be completed whenever an incident occurs. It must have the date, time and description of the noise being experienced. When completed they should be returned to your housing officer. You can access a log sheet via this link

Dealing with the problem yourself

Sometimes the most effective option is to discuss the problem with your neighbour.

Often people aren’t aware they are causing a problem. If that doesn’t work the Mediation Service may help you resolve a dispute. Contact your housing officer for more information.

If this informal approach is not successful you should report the incident to us. Also contact the council's EHEP section.

Reporting noise nuisance

Contact Spitalfields HA on 0207 392 5400

You can also contact Tower Hamlets Council:

During office hours: 020 7364 5007

Emergency out-of-hours noise patrol: 020 7364 5007 or visit for more information.

EHEP officers can witness noise incidents and have the power to take legal action against those responsible for statutory noise nuisance. Confiscate the instrument etc

The Community Trigger (also known as the ASB Case Review)

What is the Community Trigger?

Regardless of which agency is investigating your ASB case, the Community Trigger is a process which allows members of the community, or advocates on their behalf, to ask for a review of the responses to their complaints of anti-social behaviour. The Trigger should only be used if no action has been taken as a result of repeat reporting of ASB.

The use of the Community Trigger does not interfere with your right to follow your ASB provider’s internal complaints procedure; both processes can run at the same time. The Trigger cannot be used to report general acts of crime which should be reported to police.

More detailed information on the process, which is administered by the London Borough of Tower Hamlets following procedures set out in the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, the threshold for and the ways to apply for a Trigger can all be found here.