General tel & repairs

020 7392 5400

Finding a home


If your circumstances have changed and you think your present home is not suitable anymore, there are number of ways you can try to move on.


You can apply for a housing transfer to move to alternative accommodation. You will need to fill in a housing application form and send the completed form to SHA. If you are not the tenant but a household member, you must send your completed form to Tower Hamlets Letting department.

Once we receive your application, we will process it and will give you a PIN and ID number to ‘bid’ for empty properties either by telephone, online or in writing.

Moving out of Tower Hamlets

If you are considering moving out of Tower Hamlets to a different part of London, the Housing Moves scheme will be the best option for you.

Housing Moves helps social tenants in London to relocate to other parts of the capital. All council tenants and housing association tenants can apply, as long as they have a secure or assured tenancy. To find out more visit the Housing Moves website

Finding a home through the normal rehousing system can be difficult and lengthy. Tenants are therefore advised to consider all options when considering a move.

Mutual exchange (HomeSwapper)

You have the right to swap your home with a tenant from Spitalfields Housing Association, another housing association or a local authority. You must get your landlord’s permission before you swap homes. There are certain rules that apply, and not everyone will qualify.

Spitalfields HA is a full member of the HomeSwapper mutual exchange scheme, which allows you to search their database properties. You can register for free at

Key Workers Scheme

If you are a ‘selected public sector worker’, sometimes called a ‘key worker’, and you do not have a social tenancy and/or do not live within a reasonable distance of your workplace, the council may give you additional housing priority.

Please contact Tonu Miah for more information on your options for moving house. You can contact Tonu on 020 7392 5400 or at